You may be asking, is digital marketing a good career? What does it take to make money online? Which kind of high-income skills are required?
In this article, we’ll talk about what exactly digital marketing is, what skills are earning the most for online freelancers, and how you can get started now.
Passive remote jobs are abuzz in today’s digital world as employment opportunities that allow you to work from home are increasing day by day. What’s better is that you can work on high paying online jobs from the comfort of your home if you have the right set of skills.
It’s become clear that digital marketing has reign supreme in the advertising world. Everything has moved online. Think of how many times you’ve seen FB ads, Google ads, and not to mention IG shoutouts. With so much money being spent on digital marketing, a plethora of online jobs have come into existence that rewards high-income skills and freelancers.
Is Digital Marketing A Good Career?
Digital marketing is a somewhat vague term as it really refers to all online advertising and the general monetization through such marketing.
With so many platforms out there (FB, Google, LinkedIn, Amazon, IG, etc.), it’s easy to see why so many people are interested in getting into this area of work. With advantages such as low barrier to entry, lower startup costs, the ability to earn passive income, and work mobility, digital marketing and it’s related businesses are becoming very popular.
This increase in supply for digital marketing type jobs is also making it more difficult to enter the industry. Ad costs are getting high and getting high valued keywords to rank is getting very difficult. While certain costs are increasing some are also decreasing, such as web hosting and website startup costs.
So, is digital marketing right for you? Let’s see some of the pros and cons of digital marketing:
- Low startup costs
- Work mobility
- Many opportunities to monetize
- You can stop paying for ads whenever you want
- Massive time costs
- Many online markets becoming saturated
- Must have certain skills such as writing and SEO know-how
If you think you can easily overcome the above cons than digital marketing might be right for you. Another major factor to consider is how much risk you’re willing to take on as time costs can be huge. You could potentially spend hundreds of hours and still have not made a dime, so it’s important to make sure you have the sufficient time and funds to handle such risk.
Highest Paying Skills for Online Jobs
Programming & Web Development
Without out a doubt, programming can be the highest paying job for freelancers and full-time online workers. With programming, you can assist small to large companies with writing scripts and automating their work for them. They’re willing to pay top dollar for solid code that reduces the need for human intervention.
So, if you can learn to code and develop websites, this may be your number 1 choice. That being said, learning how to code is the most difficult skill of the three talked about in this article. But, don’t let that prevent you from trying. There are many free sources where you can learn how to code at no cost.
If you’re clever enough, you can even sell programs to web developers or online marketers and make a killing. Just think about what you can automate or how you can add value to either reduce their workload or increase their income.
With so many blogs and websites popping up, having quality writers can be a surprisingly very high paying job. That being said, you’ll need to have great credentials and a decently long history to make good money. You could be potentially paid more than $60 USD per article that you write with enough experience and quality.
On top of that, writing gives you the opportunity to learn while you write. It’s a win-win. You can learn about topics, write about them, and be paid for them.
SEO and Digital Marketing
SEO and digital marketing skills are in quite a huge demand. Ranking in Google has become more and more of an art. Only those with great experience in this domain really know what they’re talking about.
The good thing about SEO skills is that most of the information is free and online. You can just do a quick Google search and find out all that you need to know. What’s bad is that you need a portfolio and long list of experiences before people are going to trust you with their money and website. Getting a site to rank to the top of Google is a million dollar business and it is what many top organizations rely on for free traffic. So, yes, this skill can be quite valuable and high paying, depending on your skillset and experience.
Now that we’ve talked about the highest paying skills for online jobs, let’s get into the actual jobs themselves.
Best Online Remote Jobs That Pay Well
Here is a list of 8 best passive remote jobs that pay well. For almost all of these ‘work from home’ jobs, you only require a computer and Internet connection along with some basic skills.
Web designer/developer/tester –
- Web developing or designing involves coding in different languages to build a website or application. It is one of the most well-paid jobs that you can find online. For website testing, you need to have a discerning eye for errors with an impeccable attention to detail. Clients will ask you to use their website or application in detail as a normal user and create a report of bugs or errors that need to be fixed.
- You can bid for online web developing or designing jobs on freelancing job sites such as Upwork, Freelancer and Truelancer. There are also manual testing and automated testing jobs available online, on job sites like enroll, testing time and userlytics.
- You can earn as much as $85,000 a year as a web developer or a little less than that as a designer, which makes it a high paying online job. Even website testing jobs pay well online with an average of $12 to $15 per test or even more depending on type and complexity of testing.
Freelance writer –
- Jobs for writers have grown enormously with a torrential increase of websites on Internet. Today, you don’t have to write a novel, seek publishers or even fight for journalism jobs to make ends meet.
- If you have a rich vocabulary and command over a language and enjoy writing, this is the online job for you. Search engine optimization skills that allow you’re writing to appear on the first page of search results is an add-on.
- You can find blog and content writing jobs on job portals like Upwork and Freelancer. Technical writing, copywriting, translation and transcription jobs also allow you to earn money online.
- You can earn online money ranging from $10 to even $25 per blog as a freelancing writer. SEO knowledge can get you projects that fetch as much as $50,000 per year or even more.
Online Business Analyst –
- An organization always needs people who can solve their business problems by defining the company’s requirements, analyzing them and proposing solutions. That is the primary job function of a business analyst.
- You need good business acumen with analytical skills to invent new business strategies that help the organization. If you have an entrepreneurial mindset, you can also assist startups as a freelancing business analyst.
- Dribble jobs and Fiverr and other job portals have many openings for a business analyst job where you can earn as much as $100,000 a year.
UX or UI Designer –
- User experience or user interface designers are in great demand these days. It’s all about ideating and creating websites, technical products or applications that are meaningful and provide a rich user experience.
- Skills you need for this job are client interaction, understanding user requirements and design thinking.
- You can hunt for online jobs as UX designer on websites like Toogit, Flexingit and These are high salary online jobs that can get you as much as $100,000 a year.
Online Tutoring –
- Online tutoring is a high demand work from home job profile. In this passive remote job, you need to help students in your subject of expertise.
- For this online job, you require good communication skills and an ability to explain complex topics in a simple manner.
- There are many online job portals which are into online tutoring business like Tutor, Tutor Eye, Indeed and Upwork.
- You can earn around $20 per hour as an online tutor, which is not bad for a low-pressure value-adding online job.
Online digital marketing –
- Most products are now sold online. As an online digital marketing consultant, you need to design and execute campaigns on social media to increase sales.
- As a digital marketer, you need to have a thorough understanding of current trends in online business. You must also be able to think creatively to device effective online market strategies.
- Passive remote digital marketing jobs are on online job portals like Freelancer and Upwork.
- You can earn online ranging from $50k to $100k per year, depending on your skills and experience.
There is absolutely no dearth of passive remote jobs on the Internet. Apart from the jobs mentioned above, you can also apply for data entry, virtual assistant, customer service representative and editing & proofreading jobs on various job portals.